Immigration Questions: (954) 382-5378
  Immigration News & Updates              eNewsletter

Tell a friend about this page

Learn More About:

This Week's Immigration News 
By Immigration Attorney Caroly Pedersen

Add this page to your favorites.
Immigration News & Updates eNewsletter ©  2011  - 2014  
For questions about U.S. Residency, Green Cards and Immigration Visas, Visit our Website at: or  call our office at: (954) 382-5378

Add this page to your favorites.
Questions & Answers

Question: My daughter is an 18 year old US citizen and she has been accepted to a U.S. college. I have a Tourist visa and I can use it to take my daughter there to the U.S.. I know when I will reach the airport they will give me 6 months visa. But to support my daughter I need to stay there as long as she needs me. That's why I need to get a student visa. My question is if I do a short course on any subject then can I get student visa? And when my daughter will file for me, i.e. at 21 yrs old, how long time it will take to be immigrant? After that how long time it will take to be citizen? When I will get student visa can I work at that time so that I can support my expenses and study too. Please let me know. By the way, I am divorced and I have no one in US. Thank you.
Answer: ​ Once you have been in the U.S. for 60 days you can change from your Tourist visa to an F-1 student visa and continue on that until your daughter reaches age 21, then she can sponsor you for your Green Card. In most cases, you can’t work while you are on a student visa in the U.S. until you graduate and may then be eligible for a practical training work permit depending upon your degree program. 

Currently it takes about 4 to 6 months for the Parent of a U.S. Citizen to obtain a Green Card, then another nearly 5 years for U.S. Citizenship. I hope this was helpful to you.
Helpful Immigration Hints You Can Use
Safeguarding Your Vital Immigration Documents 
Immigration How To – How Do I……. 
Get My Foreign Language Documents Translated???
Many times, documents submitted with family-based immigrant petitions are submitted in their native language without English translation, for instance, Birth and Marriage Certificates. However, immigration regulations require that any document containing a foreign language submitted to USCIS be accompanied by a full English translation. 

This does not mean that the English translation be done by a professional translator, or even that it is formally Notarized. The only requirement is that the translation be accompanied by a separate page with the statement signed by the translator (who can also be the applicant), stating that the translation is complete and accurate, and that the translator is fluent in both the foreign and English languages.

As we get into the hurricane season this year, it’s a good time to remind readers about taking steps to safeguard your Immigration-related documentation, cards and certificates in case of potential loss, theft (automobiles, home) and of course, natural disasters such as hurricanes and water damage.
Steps to take
The first step is to be sure that you always make a copy of the entire immigration petition and supporting documentation BEFORE sending to the USCIS. 

Second, make copies of all receipts, notices and correspondence to and from the USCIS. A good approach is to keep everything in a three hole punch binder in date order. People often keep such documents in the original envelope, which increases the chance of loss, since envelopes fall out of files. Also, this method makes it difficult to quickly access the documents needed.
Republican House Immigration Reform: Yes, No, Maybe???
As the internal power struggle within the Republic Party plays out over control of it’s 2014 agenda, both Democratic and Republican House members who support Immigration Reform look for ways to bring the issue for a vote, confident that a majority of members will pass the Bill if given the opportunity.

But the key to the passage of any Immigration Reform Bill is of course House Speaker Boehner, who controls which Bills get brought up for a vote in the House, and therefore controls which legislation the House can pass. So those who have been keeping up with Immigration related topics by reading, watching and listening to the news might say “hey, didn’t I watch Speaker Boehner on CNN recently releasing the Republican party’s “Principals” of Immigration Reform and saying that Immigration Reform was a top priority this year?” Well yes you did.

You can learn more about Changing to a Student Visa and other Immigration Visa requirements by visiting our website or by calling our office at: (954) 382-5378.
So what would make the leader of the House Republican Party “flip flop” so quickly and publically on his stated major priority legislation for 2014… well you guessed it, politics, but more importantly, fear. The great dilemma for Boehner seems to be that he is stuck in the middle of two competing interests and he doesn’t know which one to fear most. On one hand he has a flurry of big business and High-Tech CEO’s, like Google and Facebook flying into Washington and breathing down his neck to get a Reform Bill passed. On the other hand, he has a Tea Party fringe in his Republican conference threatening to “unseat” him if he moves forward on Reform.
Mayor Announces Plans To Issue 
"Municipal" government ID cards To 
Undocumented Immigrants In New York City
Question: I and my wife came to the USA on a B1/B2 visa. While we are here my wife had a baby and got Medicaid financial assistance for the hospital bills. I want to know if we return home, will we lose our visas?
Answer: ​ You run the risk of losing your U.S. Tourist visa (B1/B2) if you leave the U.S. and then try to re-enter again and the officer sees that you have a U.S. Child. In many cases, the border officer will require that you prove you have paid for the baby’s hospital bills. If not, the Tourist visa can be cancelled. 

The same is true when applying for a Tourist visa renewal at the U.S. consulate. During the renewal application process you must list your U.S. Citizen child on your visa application. In most cases the U.S. Consular officer will not renew a visa for applicants that had a U.S. Citizen child born in the U.S. and do not have proof they paid the hospital bill.
Third, copies should always be made of original Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Decrees, Citizenship (Naturalization) Certificates, Green Cards, Passports and I-94 cards (which should always be stapled into the passport to safeguard it from falling out and getting lost). Once copies are made, the originals should be kept safely together in a file and enclosed in a zip-lock bag or other waterproof container. Safety deposit boxes at your local bank are often free with your account and provide an additional method of protection, for original documents and copies. 

Fourth, always immediately obtain a copy of every immigration petition along with copies of all supporting documentation and money orders and receipts from your Attorney. Don’t assume that such documents will be provided later. It is your right to have a copy of everything - always. Get formal receipts (with the attorney’s name and address) for all fees paid which specifically detail what the payment was for and once a petition is filed on your behalf, make sure you request the original receipt, doing the same with the approval notice. Also, never leave original documents with your attorney, since only copies of most documents are provided to the USCIS. Some exceptions would be original certified criminal documents, etc. 

Finally, as an Immigrant, you should maintain your original immigration documents (and copies) forever, since you never know when you will need them. Don’t rely upon the USCIS immediately knowing and recognizing your status simply because you know it. The burden of proof is always on you to provide documentation, certificates, cards, passports, etc to prove to the USCIS that you have immigration status and benefits. Documentation is your strength and security.
Mayor de Blasio announced last week that New York City intends to provide government-issued “Municipal” ID cards to undocumented immigrants, the homeless and anyone else in the city who is not able to obtain an official government ID. The new government issued ID is intended to help undocumented immigrants to open bank accounts, access government facilities like the library and get access to medical care. To obtain the new ID, applicants must apply in person and provide some proof of identity, such as a birth certificate, foreign passport, etc and show proof of residency in city, such as a lease or a utility bill.

During his speech last Monday de Blasio told the crowd, “To all of my fellow New Yorkers who are undocumented, I say: New York City is your home, too,…And we will not force any of our residents to live their lives in the shadows.”
I hope someone in Washington is listening!

Read More About the New York City ID:
New York Post:

So his challenge is - how to get Immigration Reform passed, without being blamed and losing his Speakership? To this end, (some say with his full knowledge), technocrats in the House are strategizing using House “rules” to somehow maneuver around Boehner to get an Immigration Reform Bill onto the floor for a vote, without his consent, thus relieving Boehner of liability for its passage. Now the question is, will it work? How long will it take? Will Boehner change is mind again? Stay tuned….

Read More Immigration Reform News:
Huffington Post
NBC News