Immigration Questions: (954) 382-5378
  Immigration News & Updates              eNewsletter

Tell a friend about this page

Learn More About:

Add this page to your favorites.

Add this page to your favorites.
Immigration News & Updates eNewsletter ©  2011  - 2017 
For questions about U.S. Residency, Green Cards and Immigration Visas, Visit our Website at: or  call our office at: (954) 382-5378
Questions & Answers
This Week's Immigration News 
By Immigration Attorney Caroly Pedersen

New Studies Confirm That Immigrants Commit 
Less Crimes Than U.S. Born Citizens!
Two recent studies confirm the long held notion that "foreign-born residents of the United States commit crime less often than native-born citizens." This conclusion was reached by both The Sentencing Project, a criminal justice research and advocacy group, and the libertarian Cato Institute, which compares incarceration rates by migratory status, ethnicity and gender. According to the Cato study "All immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than natives relative to their shares of the population," The Sentencing Project report goes even further, reporting that increased immigration "may have contributed to the historic drop in crime rates" since 1990.
Both major studies directly contradict Trump’s unfounded charges that Immigrants “are bringing crime.” and that “illegal” Immigrants are killing a Americans. These charges are patently false and simply aimed at appealing to base fears, about the “other”. As many Americans know, Immigrants are among the most trustworthy, hardworking members of our society and should be valued, rather than denigrated. 

You can read the new reports:

The Sentencing Project Report
Cato Institute Report
Federal Judge Extends Block On 
Trump’s Travel Ban 
On March 29, 2017, the same Federal Judge in Hawaii who issued a temporary restraining order (TRO) to block the Trump Administration’s new travel ban from taking effect, issued a new order extending it, converting the TRO into a preliminary injunction. The injunction can significantly extend the period of the block on the ban for months and even years, similar to the injunction issued by the judge in Texas which has blocked Obama’s Executive Actions on Immigration since 2015.

Read the Judge’s Order:
Order Granting Motion To Convert Temporary Restraining Order To A Preliminary Injunction 
Get Text Message From USCIS When Your Immigration Application Is Received!
Stay Informed - Sign-up For USCIS E-Notification & Email Updates On Your Immigration Case 

The USCIS now offers several ways for Applicants to get updates on newly filed and pending Immigration cases. Immigrants and Sponsors filing Immigration applications with the USCIS can now sign-up to receive text messages and email E-notifications confirming application receipt by the USCIS, along with the case receipt number(s).

 The receipt number allows individuals to track the status of their case online.  
E-notifications are issued within 24 hours after the USCIS receives the application.

To request e-notification, download and complete form G-1145 and mail along with all Immigration applications. Once you receive your case number, go to the USCIS website and sign up for Email Status updates on your case through the USCIS My Case Status program. Once you register and enter your case number(s), the USICS will automatically email you notifications and updates on any actions take on your case so that you are better informed about your case status. 

For instance, once your Immigration application is filed, the USCIS may issue you a letter requesting more evidence in order to continue processing the case. If you are registered to receive case status updates, you will receive an email notification that the USCIS has issued the request, which helps you to be aware that you should be receiving the request by mail soon. If you have not received the request, you can then make further inquiries. Similarly, once you respond to the USCIS request, you will receive an updated email notification that they have received your documentation. It’s a great way to stay informed and keep up to date on the status of your case as it is being processed.

Question: I just got my green card last week through marriage to my American husband. My parents have been in the U.S. many years after coming here on a tourist visa and staying. I want to sponsor them so they can get their papers and be legal. My question is, can I file for them now that I have my Green Card and how long will it take for them to get their work permits?
Answer: Unfortunately, only U.S. Citizens can sponsor their parents. However, since you obtained your conditional U.S. Residency (Green Card) through marriage to a U.S. Citizen, as long as you remain in a bona fide marriage (meaning real), living together as husband and wife and have common marital property and bills together, you will be able to Naturalize early and apply for your U.S. Citizen in 2 years and 9 months. However, first, just prior to your two year conditional U.S. Residency expiring, you and your husband will need to file a request to make your Green Card permanent. Once that is approved and you have been a Resident for 2 years and 9 months you can file for your Citizenship.
Question:I have a question about my daughter sponsoring me. She was born in the U.S. many years ago while I was here on vacation and she just turned age 21. I stayed in the U.S. after I had her and have been waiting for some immigration program to help me get my status ever since. But now that she is 21, I’m hoping she can file for my Green Card now. The problem is that she is still in college and lives at home with me because she doesn’t have income while she’s in school. I am a certified nurse assistant and work, but I don’t have a work permit. I’m afraid that might disqualify me. I’m wondering if you can help me finally get my green card. Thanks so much for your kindness in always answering my questions over the years!
Answer: You are welcome. Yes, we can handle your Residency case. Residency petitions and Affidavit of Support issues can be complicated and there are a lot of misconceptions. Now that your daughter is age 21, she can sponsor you for your U.S. Residency. The fact that you have been working without work authorization does not disqualify you for your Green Card, since Immigration regulations forgive both spouses and parents of U.S. Citizens who work illegally.

For the Affidavit of Support, we will prepare one for your daughter showing that she is not working and does not meet the minimum requirements and you will find another U.S. Citizen or U.S. Resident who has regular employment in the U.S. who meets the minimum financial requirements to be the “Joint-Sponsor”. See you next week.

Find out more about filing for Residency and Affidavit of Support issues by calling our office at: 954-382-5378.
Make A USCIS e-Request 
For Inquiries On Pending Cases
The USCIS offers customers with pending cases the option of sending an electronic e-Request for information using an electronic inquiry form on the USCIS Website. In order to make an inquiry, you will need to have the case number, form type, filing date, zip code on file and other information.

Click Here to Visit the USCIS e-Request Webpage 
Immigration How To:
How Do I Know What Filing Fees Are Required?
One of the most common reasons for case rejection by the USCIS is for the wrong Filing Fees. You can see the current USCIS Filing Fees by clicking on the link below:

Current USCIS Filing Fees
Avoid Case Rejection By Enclosing 
the Correct USCIS Filing Fee
Helpful Immigration Hints You Can Use