Immigration Questions: (954) 382-5378
  Immigration News & Updates              eNewsletter

Tell a friend about this page

Learn More About:

This Week's Immigration News 
By Immigration Attorney Caroly Pedersen

Add this page to your favorites.

Add this page to your favorites.
Immigration News & Updates eNewsletter ©  2011  - 2015 
For questions about U.S. Residency, Green Cards and Immigration Visas, Visit our Website at: or  call our office at: (954) 382-5378
Questions & Answers
Question: I applied for my wife’s green card and did the financial affidavit to sponsor her. But we recently received a letter from the immigration saying that I didn’t send in all the pages of my tax return to show financial proof. But we checked our return and we are sure that we sent in all the pages. So, now we don’t know what to do since they are asking for something that we already sent. Thank you.
Answer: USCIS requests for additional information are very common in U.S. Residency cases, especially with the financial documents which must be provided to support the I-864 Affidavit of Support. And more often than not, the USCIS request letter is so vague, that it can often be very difficult to determine exactly what the officer is asking for. A good “rule of thumb” to use when you receive such a request like this is to order an official IRS Transcript and W-2 from the IRS, so that you know you are providing a complete return. You can call the IRS to request your Tax Transcript by calling: 800-908-9946 and they will usually fax it to you. Good luck! 

You can find out more about Answering USCIS requests for additional information regarding Affidavits of Support 
by calling our office at: (954) 382-5378.
Obama’s Justice Department Prepares Case To Defend Executive Actions On Immigration At Upcoming Appeals Court Hearing
Following the recent denial by the 5th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals to “lift the stay” issued by a federal Texas judge, which put President Obama’s Executive Actions on Immigration on hold, the Justice Department decided to temporarily hold off on appealing directly to the U.S. Supreme court and instead put its efforts into obtaining a favorable decision from the Appeals Court, when it presents its case during a hearing before the court on July 10th.

It is important for Immigrants to understand that the recent denial by the 5th Circuit Appeals Court did not mean a denial of the President’s Executive Actions on Immigration, it simply means that the court decided not to issue an emergency order lifting the “hold” put on the programs by the Texas court. Its decision did not rule on the validity of the Executive Actions on Immigration program itself and does not mean that the new expanded DACA and DAPA programs have been cancelled.
USICS Now Accepting H-4 Spouses Work Permits
Under its new policy, the USCIS began accepting applications for work permits, called “employment authorization documents” (EADs) from qualifying H-4 spouses (of H-1B workers) on May 26th. 
USCIS Announces New Online “Webinar” To Help U.S. Residents 
Learn About The Naturalization Process
The USCIS has announced a new Webinar scheduled on Wednesday, June 17, from 2 to 3 p.m. (ET) to assist U.S. Residents in learning about the naturalization process. During this online program, USCIS representatives will provide an overview of the application process, including eligibility requirements, and answer questions. You can participate in this event by registering with the USCIS online.

Read the USCIS Announcement and visit the USCIS Webinar Registration page:
USCIS Webinar Registration page
USCIS Webinar Announcement
The Appeals court has ordered the Justice Department, State of Texas and other litigants to submit written arguments, called “briefs” to support their cases by June 18th and will hear verbal arguments during the upcoming Appeals hearing in July.
Under the new regulations, H-4 spouses may qualify for the new work permit if they are inside the U.S. and their spouse (the H-1B worker) has an approved Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (from a qualifying U.S. employer) or his or her H-1B spouse has been granted an H-1B extension of status beyond the sixth year limit under AC21. Applicants should apply using the new I-765 form (2/13/15 edition date). USCIS processing time is approximately 60-90 days.
Question: I am visiting here in Miami on vacation with my husband and 2 kids and we want to find out how to increase the time we stay here. My question is if you apply for me to get more time to stay in America, does that include my husband and the kids or are you going to have to file for each of us separately. Also, how long is the extra time going to be and how long is that going to take for you to get our approval?
Answer: An application to extend your stay in the U.S. to “Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status” will include you and your family together. One parent is the primary applicant and we provide information about the spouse and children to be included in the extension. Extensions of stay are normally approved for the time requested to accomplish those things for which the stay is to be extended. For instance, if you have planned an extended vacation and intend to visit more places and attend more parks or attractions during your intended visit which would span the time of four months or so after your normal stay (I-94) would have expired, then the USICS will normally grant a six month extension and issue a new I-94 Arrival/Departure card with the new expiration date on it for you and all your family members. The USCIS usually processes these cases in approximately 60 to 90 days. As a result, visitors should never wait until the last moment to apply, in case the request denied for being filed improperly or for other reasons.You can find out more about Extensions of Stay by calling our office at: (954) 382-5378.
Helpful Immigration Tips You Can Use
Visit USCIS Facebook Page
Yes, even the USCIS has a Facebook page. You can visit the USCIS Facebook page by clicking on the link below:

USCIS Facebook Page
The USCIS now provides a convenient service to customers who have filed applications by sending email or text notifications once the center receives and accepts an application for processing. To request an email or text notification, go online to the USCIS website and download and complete form G-1145. Complete a separate form for each form you are sending to the USCIS and attach to the front page of each application. Good luck!
Immigration How To:
How To Sign Up For USCIS Email or Text Notifications